Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bernard

Alright. Today is one of those days you only hear about in this blog right here. So this morning, around 10:00 my mom drops me off on the corner of Western and your mom (don't go looking for me :P). Maybe about 10 minutes later this guy comes over and asks me how long I've been there as he stares down the street to see if the bus is anywhere near. "5-10 minutes I think." "Oh ok," he says as he walks backward towards a brick wall about 3 feet from the bench I was sitting on. "Where's your family from?" I look up. "Belize." He takes a step forward off the wall. "It's been a while since I met someone from Belize." Conversation continued. He asked me for my number. "Sure, why not?" I entered my number into his phone as he asked me about what I do and where I'm from and how old I am and told me about where he was off to and what he does and made sure to ask if I was dating anyone. "No.." Bus arrived at some time I didn't notice. We got on. He waited for me to pay my fair and sat in the seat across from me. I asked him about his job. He asked me about where I was going. A friend of his entered the bus. They talked the rest of the ride until he got off. She got off shortly after.

I kept riding until I got to my stop. I crossed the street; backpack on my back; skateboard in hand. "Hey!" I hear from a woman behind me. I turn around. She's bending over to pick up what looked like a wad of cash. It was a wad of cash. Not my wad of cash. And as much as I knew I needed that, the person it belongs to needed it more. A few bills isn't worth bad karma. I shook my head. It's not mine. I looked ahead of me. There was another woman just getting to the train station stairs, about to go down. "Hey! Ma'am! Excuse me!" I ran to the woman and tapped her upper arm. She looked up. I pointed to the woman with the wad of cash. "I think you dropped that." "Oh, my goodness," she said in what sounded like a Russian accent. I'm no professional linguist, but I watch movies. It was at least a movie quality Russian accent if that makes sense. She nodded to me and thanked me and the other woman. "Look at those good citizens," I hear from a man standing at another bus stop on the same corner. No biggie, I thought. I continued to the train and got on. Nothing unusual there. Got off at my stop and went to work.

Around 1 or 2, boss got hungry, handed me a 20 and asked me to run to this little restaurant and grab us some lunch. I was happy to take the nice little walk and get some fresh air. I got to the restaurant, got the food, and walked back to work. It was strange, how much I enjoyed that little walk. I thought I wasn't thinking about anything until I was thinking about how I wasn't thinking about anything. Hehe. Well, I got back to work, did what I do there, while texting like 3 different people. All who want to hang out with me and are trying to make plans to go somewhere with me. I've been so tired from work I'm trying not to sound ike I'm just making excuses, but I kinda was just making excuses, though I actually was planning on tutoring my cousin tonight. She didn't need me to come by again. Anyway, I put the energy out there and now it's coming back to me.

So, I figure after work I'm gonna go to the movies and hang with one of my new friends (not the one from the bus stop). I get to Hollywood and Highland as I'm texting my friend, let's call him Chalupa since that's what's on my Taco Bell taco wrapper paper thing. So, I text Chalupa and he says meet him at the Gap, so I'm waiting there and this guy walks up to me. Now, I had never met Chalupa in person. Don't judge me okay. I talked to him for a while and we were gonna hang out. Anyway, he sticks out his hand and says "Hey, I'm Bernard." He totally walks up to me like he knew I was waiting for him. If you can probably tell already, this guy is not Chalupa. He's Bernard. But I'm having a good day so I'm like whatever. I'll amuse him. This guy starts talking to me and he's saying things that all sort of add up to what I've talked to Chalupa about. He's an actor and he has a cartoon idea and he just got Skype. Wait what? Then who have I been talking to? I ask him. He tries to remember. I ask him why he doesn't look like his pictures. He takes off his glasses and asks me if he looks like himself now? "No...not really..." "Older or younger?" "Uh...def older." "Really?" he says as if it's some sort of surprise. "Yea. You said you were like 20 something. How old are you?" "I'm 39. It's because I'm an actor and you know we post our age younger so we can get the part." WHERE ARE ALL YOUR GREAT ESCAPE PLANS?! I'm thinking to myself how I can possibly make up some excuse to get out of this strange situation. This is NOT Chalupa. "Uh...this is awkward..." I think I said that like 5 times before he responded with a simple grin and nod. I scan the scene for SOMETHING to save me from this weird old guy and Hey! That guy looks like the guy I talked to from before! He walks up to me, shakes Bernard's hand and mine as well. "I've got a really funny story to tell you in a sec." "Oh really? Tell me." "In a sec." I look at the old guy and he nods and says goodbye. Strange. I know. "Alright so, I have NO idea who that guy is." "Me neither," Chalupa says. I tell him my story. He laughs of course. Who wouldn't? I was still laughing in my unnerved confusion.

Any who, we went to see Red Riding Hood after spending about an hour wandering around Hollywood Blvd. and being told you can't take skateboards into the Kodak theatre and also after spending about an hour in Taco Bell chatting with this guy about Inception and who's a "quality entertainer" versus people we only respect for the fact that they make money but not necessarily for what they do. Like Souljaboi. He's not a great rapper, but he got his job done the way the people wanted it done and he made his money. Red Riding Hood was pretty good, by the way. On my way to the restroom after the movie, who do I see leaving the men's bathroom as my bladder is about to burst just from grabbing that door handle? Vince Vaughn. "No big deal," he says as he nods at me. "What's up?" I say, nodding back and rushing into the restroom. I hadn't really noticed who he was until I got out and Chalupa informs me that he just talked to Vince Vaughn on his way out. "Yea, I just said what's up to him on my way into the bathroom." As we left, I was admittedly looking to see if I'd see Vince again on my way out. I wasn't lifting rocks trying to find him, but I did glance around to no success. Either way, it was a cool experience. I ended the night with a hug from Chalupa and a ride home from my big bro. I need to be getting to bed now, but that was my big adventure for the week.

Oh, and tomorrow I might be going to City Walk with Bus Stop Guy after work. He was persistent. What can I say? There's no harm in meeting new people and enjoying myself at the same time right? And if all else fails I got a free movie and meal and they got to hang with my most frequently received comment lately: "an increasingly interesting girl." Goodnight.

Trusis,
Nasia :P

No comments:

Post a Comment