Wednesday, October 19, 2016

To Mom and Dad

This started out as something entirely different, and then it transformed into what is written below...

I spend so much time doing me
I hardly have time for you
I know you know it's nothing personal
Not what I mean to do

And I know you understand
Cause' you've been through this all before
Yea, you've witnessed this and more
Through your sickness, health, and for

As long as I can remember
You've made it through it all
With grace and poise and dignity
You taught me how to fall

And rise again tomorrow
Through darkness, shine, or rain
I hope one day when I have kids
I can teach them to do the same

Cause though you were years ahead of me
I'm walking in your steps
And you showed me what you learned from life
So I know what to expect

I wouldn't be where I am today
If you hadn't shown me how to
And I'm still not entirely sure
How I've continued on without you

Because that day was inevitable
And it's painful to put to words
You were more than the parents I needed
You were the parents that I deserve

- Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment